A person who has been subjected to a crime may be entitled to compensation for injuries caused by the criminal act. There are three different kinds of compensation: damages from the offender, insurance compensation and criminal injuries compensation from the state.

In principle, a person who commits a crime is obligated to pay for the damage or injuries the crime gives rise to. This compensation is known as damages. The amount of damages to be paid is determined at the hearing.

If the offender cannot pay the damages and you have insurance, part of the damage or injuries you have suffered may be covered. If you do not have insurance that fully covers the injuries, and you have not received compensation through damages, you may be entitled to compensation from the state, known as criminal injuries compensation.

You may also be entitled to compensation from your insurance company or criminal injuries compensation in cases where the offender is unknown.