The attack in Stockholm – information about compensation, support and help

Have you or someone close to you been affected by the terror incident in Stockholm? Help and support is available if you need it. It is also important that you contact the police as you may be entitled to compensation.

Contact the police and your insurance company

If you were in the centre of the attack you may have been subjected to a crime. You may be entitled to compensation for damages, insurance compensation or criminal injuries compensation. You may be entitled to compensation even if you are not a Swedish citizen or currently not living in Sweden.

Report to the police that you have been subjected to a crime in connection with the terror attack. Also, contact your insurance company. Document any damages and costs that you have had as a result of the attack.

You may apply for a criminal injuries compensation after you have found out if you can receive insurance compensation and once the legal process is completed, for example when the perpetrator has been convicted in court and when it is no longer possible to appeal the court’s decision.
Contact the police – call 114 44
Contact the service telephone that is administrated by the Swedish Crime Victim Compensation Authority and Support at 090 – 70 82 00 if you have any questions regarding compensation
More information on criminal injuries compensation

Do you need medical care or support?

Call 1177 Vårdguiden on telephone number 1177 if you need medical care or support. They will help you find the right medical care or an opportunity for you or your close ones to talk to someone about your reactions.  You can also get medical care and support from your employer.
For more information, visit
You can also get support and assistance at Brottsofferjouren (Victim Support Sweden).

Talking with children about the attack

If you are a parent or carer of a child you play an important role in calming, reassuring and helping your child to deal with his or her feelings and by answering questions about the attack.

If you have questions about how to talk with children about the attack, please contact Bris helpline service for adults about children at 0771 – 50 50 50.

More information

At there are more links to pages with information about the attack from a number of Swedish authorities and organisations.

Last Updated: 2018-02-27